Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book reviews, how to deal. Glamor of a writer's life.

What a long week. I read a few blogs, most are about books and eBooks and what the writers are doing. I was sent a blog to read "Big Al's Books and Pals". He did a review of a book. He said it was interesting, but need some work on spelling and grammar. Its not a bad review, but the writer hated it. She went into a public melt down that was embarrassing for herself. Many asked her to stop but sadly she didn't in fact she resorted to profanity. I don't know the lady, no idea whats going on in her life. It was so sad to see someone ruin a chance of a book deal. Many agents read blogs and blogs that review books. We have all had one time or another been on the end of someones meltdown. We have also all had meltdowns but most of don't go public. I feel bad for this lady up to a point, but be real not everyone is going to love your work. I had a bad review but sadly the reviewer couldn't be nice enough to say why he disliked my book. I wish this lady well and hope she gets her act together.
I read another blog saying as a writer we should teach others to write. I was a High School teacher. I taught art for a long time. The people who read my blog are adults and have read books on how to write and some have taken classes in college. Some read my blog because they want to know what is up with me and when my next book is out. I will not insult them by saying you need to read this book on how to or do what ever. If asked I can honestly say everyone write in his or her own way. Books on how to are a tool. You can read every book ever written on how to but you still need an imagination.
Many people think a writers life is all glamor. Not so, most are hard working people who hold down a full time job, family life and then write their books, blogs and do publicity work for them selves. Having four full time jobs is not easy. Its stressful and very hard work. Please be kind to them and support them and if you read a book that's good to you pass it on to others. Today I am  passing on a book that is very good to read.  "A Proper Charlie" by Louise Wise. You can get her book on Amazon.com.
As for me I have been working the on five shorts stories for my book. I wrote most of these stories over the last year. I write in a notebook I call my sloppy copy book. I then put on the computer for spelling and grammar then off to editor and then re-done, repeat. It is a slow process and I do have to do things like clean house, cook and walk Princess. Oh the glamor of it all.
So here are a few writers I would recommend to anyone. Stephen King is a great story teller, Jack Ketchum will scare you to bits, Dan Simmons can tell you a tale you wont put down and if you like historical fiction kind of girly go for Philippa Gregory. Here are few other cool writers you many not know.....Debbie Mack, Louise Wise, Greg Messel, Belinda Frisch, Debra Purdy Kong check them out on Twitter.
So what book would you recommend me to read?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the kind mention! I agree about that tragic meltown. What a mess. Reader backlash punished that writer with a ton of 1-star reviews. I had linked to that post over at Al's place because I was shocked at the vitriol toward self-published or independently published writers, but I realized I was just promoting the stop and stare reaction and removed it. I try to promote, encourage, and go the good will route. Being a writer is hard enough. Thanks for taking the high road! Love to the corgi from two shelties and a couple of sugar gliders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sitting at home the other day, radio playing in the background, cup of coffee by my side. Kids were at school, hubby at work. Had the house to myself and the hours stretched before me. It was bliss. That to me is "glamour". The rest is being knocked back by agents and publishers, deadlines, deadlines-and-then-being-dropped, crappy reviews, snooty staff in book shops, lack of money... >sigh<

    Thanks for mentioning my book!! Ace!

    ReplyDelete