Friday, January 11, 2013

Guest Blog by E. Kirwin


I was asked to write a few words on reading over Mother's books in the last few years. I'm very proud of the work she's done and she's grown so much as a writer. Her progress has been entertaining to see and read while I have been beta reading her books. Beta reading is a new term to me as well and it's like being a beta tester for software. You read through it and find the bugs and work them out. 

Her first novel, Dust of Tombstone was mostly finished but because of a file error, she had to rewrite several pages after I noticed the corrections we made didn't save. And it's true what they say, the first time is the hardest. Her second book, Haunted Bedtime Stories was a series of short stories which I read at different times, usually when I had time off from school or work. Finally, her latest project, which is full of pictures my Grandfather took during World War II, was a bit of a logistical challenge. We had gotten the photos scanned from negatives (which was a bit of a miracle because of their age and their poor quality) and then had to teach ourselves how to format it for a book and later, a eBook ready format. 

If you're reading this and are apprehensive about writing and selling your own book, don't be. It's easier than it looks but you just have to take your time and don't panic! You have the whole internet to help you on your way. Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment